[Imports] Continuing the New Zealand street address import

Kyle Hensel K.y.l.e at outlook.co.nz
Sun Mar 14 05:00:28 UTC 2021

Hi all,

In 2009 a project to import data from the New Zealand Government's geospatial agency (LINZ) began (see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/LINZ)
In 2017 the project began importing street address data from LINZ (see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/LINZ/Address_Import)

However the street address data has never been updated since 2017.
In that time 161,000 new addresses have been created in New Zealand.

I sent an email to the talk-nz mailing list last week, proposing that the New Zealand street address import be continued.

As part of this proposal, the existing data in OSM will be compared with the data from the New Zealand Government, so that errors  in the data can been corrected.

There is a detailed wiki page for this proposal: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/New_Zealand_Street_Addresses_(2021)

In summary: The intention is to use a custom version of the RapiD editor to import the new addresses, and to fix incorrect data in the addresses.
I've created a proof-of-concept which you can try out here: https://linz-addr.kyle.kiwi - NOTE: it deliberately does not let you upload changesets yet.

As a matter of due diligence, I'm forwarding this proposal to the global community.
If you have time to read the wiki page, I would love to hear feedback on this proposal.

Best regards,
Kyle