[Imports] Road data imports from CC0 government database for Sweden

NKA mapper nkamapper at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 09:35:20 UTC 2021

This import plan was submitted to the import list a bit earlier than I
anticipated. I think it would be a good idea if the local community could
review the import plan first (it was posted to Facebook yesterday, earlier
just specific questions), and that the community could review import files
(so far no link to import files have been provided). Here is the link to
the files: https://nvdb-osm-map-data.s3.eu-north-1.amazonaws.com/index.html.

The discussion would be open and documented if the local review could be
done on the Swedish OSM mailing list or on the Swedish OSM forum. I, for
one, do not post on Facebook.

I disagree with some of the main highway tagging choices, and there have
been different opinions about this on Facebook already. I think it would be
good if these choices, and their alternatives, are highlighted in the local
review. Examples:

   - The script is making educated guesses about how trunk, primary and
   secondary should be tagged. This has the implication that trunk, primary
   and secondary are not corresponding to state roads, primary county roads
   and secondary county roads, respectively. The Swedish tagging guidelines
   for these highway classes are quite elaborate and to some extent
   subjective. I think it would be better for the person who is importing to
   clearly see what the highways represent, i.e. which highways are state
   (trunk), primary county (primary) and secondary county (secondary). The
   importer can then make his/her own choices for tagging.
   - The script is also guessing which roads should be track. I think there
   are way too many tracks in the current version, for example many
   residential roads and rural roads are tagged with track, especially in
   semi-urban municipalities such as for example Uppsala. There are ways to
   limit the scope of track based on information in NVDB. (I do not have an
   issue with the real forestry roads. The Swedish tradition in OSM is to tag
   forestry roads as track, even if they can be used by large logging trucks
   and normal cars.)

The community could compare the alternative approaches for
trunk/primary/secondary and trunk, for example using these examples
<https://www.jottacloud.com/s/0592631d082283b49939bb929c3050af021> or
others. (They are just for illustration, it is not a completed end
product.) Further discussion on this topic on Github
<https://github.com/atorger/nvdb2osm/issues>.

Perhaps a high level tagging table for the most important features could be
provided in the import plan, to document the choices..

Finally, and just to be clear, I think Anders has done a great job at
converting the very detailed NVDB dataset.

/NKA