[josm-dev] JOSM now with built-in Mappaint support, pls test

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Dec 14 01:18:03 GMT 2007

Hi,

  I have just committed and built a JOSM version with mappaint built
in. If you download josm-latest.jar it will automatically deactivate
mappaint if you have it in your configuration. A new option in the
"view" menu allows toggling between the old mode (which I'd like to
call "wireframe mode" unless someone else has a better idea) and the
mappaint mode which is now the default.

I would be happy to have feedback on this. I haven't used mappaint in
a while and when I loaded all of Berlin it felt a little slow; I would
be happy to hear from the mappaint users out there whether the new
version is any slower than using the plugin. If so, I have to hunt for
bugs - I haven't made big changes, just merged in the code, at least
that's what I thought.

Looking through the code I found lots of places where things could
probably be speeded up but haven't acted on these ideas yet, that will
be the next step.

Are some of you using your own, custom mappaint style files? I have
left the code in place that would look for them under
.josm/plugins/mappaint but this should probably be changed to
.josm/styles/ or so?

And Ulf, feel free to change the menu entry/shortcut key to whatever
suits the overall scheme which I haven't followed ;-)

I have also made provisions for a mappaint configuration panel in the
preferences dialog. What do the mappaint users want to configure?

I have included all the icons and the standard "elemstyles.xml" in the
JOSM jar file and commited them to SVN but maybe the icons directory
should better be replaced by a link to the central OSM SVN? I don't
know where the "icon master" sits.

Enjoy,
Frederik