[josm-dev] Jumbo Patch

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Sat Dec 15 01:41:43 GMT 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 02:15 +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > OK, this is in the open source spirit of "release early release often".
> > I've been hacking on JOSM for the purpose of making the TIGER merging
> > easier.  Frederik, this implements some of the "reverse lookup" stuff
> > that we were talking about a few weeks ago.
>
> You mean the stuff where I said I had once implemented something and
> then Imi said he didn't like it ;-)
>
> Just looked at the patch quickly -
>
> 1. That one method whose name begins with a double underscore... you
> don't really mean it do you ;-)

That's a pretty bad hack, so I believe it _deserves_ the underscores. ;)

There are probably some better places to retry around there.

> 2. I have never fully understood the "Merge" code in JOSM, i.e. what
> happens when you load stuff from the server, of which some objects
> were present already, others not, and some were present and now come
> in a more recent version, while others were present and have been
> changed *and* come in a new version (i.e. conflict detection). We have
> to be reasonably sure that your code doesn't break these. Have you
> done any tests in that direction? Someone else recently spoke of
> improving the merge code, maybe he can help making sure this works.

> 3. I don't like the privatisation because it bloats the code: You have
> to implement a ton of accessors and they all just "pass through"
> stuff, only a tiny percentage actually does something different. But
> that's the Java spirit probably...

Yeah, now that I look at it, very few people were actually poking the
Way.nodes in any significant ways.  We could allow direct access to the
nodes, I just worry a bit that people will _start_ to poke it in bad
ways, or forget to update the node->way cache.  Although, I guess we
could also just override the list functions in a subclass and get some
of the same behavior.

> 4. We have to test-compile the existing plugins against the core
> changes and see if they still work.

Definitely.  I did the validator, but there are surely more plugins to
fix.

> But that's just a first impression, I haven't actually *used* it yet.
> Maybe you can make a josm.jar available for those who want to
> test-drive your changes?

Sure.  Here are .jars for JOSM and the validator:

http://sr71.net/~dave/osm/josm/

-- Dave