[josm-dev] JOSM main menu - behaviour inconsistencies

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Thu Nov 1 19:43:02 GMT 2007

Ulf Lamping schrieb:
> I've took a look at how the JOSM main menu behaves in terms of usability.

I've just checked in the first run of "usability cleanup" of main menu
and default toolbar (I guess there's still a lot to do).

main menu:
- add keyboard shortcuts to the menu item texts (this makes recognizing
shortcuts a lot easier)
- move "Connection" items to File menu (as Fred suggested)
- make "View" visible by default (as all the other menus)
- resort "Tools" menu items (most used items first - this order might
need discussion)

default toolbar:
- remove "new" item (very rarely used IMHO)
- use the same sequence as used in the menu

Next step will be to "grey out" the menu items that are currently not
usable (e.g. disable "Save" if no file was loaded). This makes it much
easier to "browse" the functionality and more pleasant as clicking on a
menu item just to be told: "Please load some data first" is annoying and
time consuming.

I've tested the changes, but I might have introduced new bugs - please
report. Unless you compile for yourself, the changes will be available
with the next nightly build I guess ...

Regards, ULFL

P.S: @Frederik: Is the "author" problem still a problem?