[josm-dev] Integrate remaining two UtilsPlugin actions into JOSM core?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Nov 10 23:10:33 GMT 2007

Hi,

> There are only two Tool functions left in the Utilsplugin, that are not
> already in the JOSM core:
>
> - Join node to way
> - Simplify way
>
> Both functions seems generally useful.
>
> I think I could move both Actions into JOSM core easily.
>
> Any objections against this?

Well... the "join node to way" function might deserve closer
attention. I know of at least one user who, after having imported a
dataset that didn't properly join up roads, would have liked something
like "join all end nodes to nearest way if distance less than 5
metres" or so. Also, we talked about joining nodes to ways by just
dragging them onto a way.

The same goes for the "simplify way" action. This action, in my eyes,
definitely needs a dialog where you select the simplicifaction
parameter and get an idea of how many nodes this is going to remove,
or maybe even a "preview" dialog with a slider ;-)

It is a bit sad that the Utils plugin has only these two actions; I
don't think there is a compelling reason for moving these into the
core except that it is cumbersome to install a plugin just for these
two. But what will happen next? As soon as somebody comes up with a
cool but exotic feature he's going to write an "Utils2" plugin that
has only this one feature, and then we'll say "well people can't be
bothered to install a plugin just for that feature" and move it into
the core, and so on.

On the other hand, at least for the join node into way action, it is
hard do explain why this is in the plugin...

I don't know. Put them in the core if the others are happy with it...
but then you have to explain to Martijn that his plugin is now just a
zombie ;-)

Bye
Frederik