[josm-dev] Tagging Presets

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 08:56:26 BST 2007

David Groom wrote:
>Sent: 17 October 2007 1:29 AM
>To: josm-dev at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [josm-dev] Tagging Presets

I'll second David's comments on this. Great to see some default presets back
in JOSM, that's Frederik for that (and Christoph's cool icons). I've been
using them as the default method of tagging since imi first incorporated
them and it's a much faster way of tagging when you can group a set of
common features together. The defaults that have been incorporated are a
good start but they are generally single tag sets rather than a grouping.
You will find that tagging can be enriched and undertaken much faster if the
single preset box contains more tagging items. For example, my highway
preset for ways includes:

name=,
postal_code=,
ref=,
highway=(combo),
neighbourhood=(combo),
oneway=(checkbox),
roundabout=(checkbox),

The xml for the above being:

<item name="Way: Highways">
    <label text="Tag a line Segment or Way as a Highway" />
    <text key="name" text="Name:" delete_if_empty="true"/>
    <text key="postal_code" text="Post Code" delete_if_empty="true"/>
    <text key="ref" text="Ref (e.g. M6):" delete_if_empty="true" />
	<combo key="highway" text="Type or Class:"
values="motorway,trunk,primary,secondary,minor,unclassified,residential,serv
ice,track,cycleway,bridleway,footway,steps" default="unclassified"
delete_if_empty="true" />
    <combo key="abutters" text="Neighbourhood:"
values="residential,retail,commercial,industrial" delete_if_empty="true"/>
    <check key="roundabout" text="Segment or way is on a roundabout?"
default="off" />
    <check key="oneway" text="Primary method of passage is one way?"
default="off" />
  </item>

What would be really cool would be an interface in JOSM that allows one to
edit the preset file and change default values, add new tag/value defaults
etc using a default list to choose from. Then I'm sure we would see a lot
more people tagging this way and adding a lot more useful data.

Cheers

Andy