[josm-dev] License clarification for JOSM plugins

Raphael Mack ramack at raphael-mack.de
Mon Apr 14 20:48:03 BST 2008

Hi,

Am Montag, 14. April 2008 schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> To me it didn't matter until now; it is the Debian folks with *their*
> guidelines who want to have a very clear understanding, so I am a bit
> reluctant to trawl through SVN to find out the names of everyone who
> has contributed, because that work is of no direct use to *me*, it
> just satisfies the guidelines someone else has introduced for a
> completely different project.

This may be true, and it may be some work to contact the authors. And
actually, it would be much easier, if the authors would aready be
mentioned in each file. But how many are there actually? I think that each
one who has or had svn access is enough, and these should not be that
much. I personally think it is a good idea to have clarity about
copyright, authors of each file and licensing. - Even though I think
actual, working code is ways more important.

Personally I'd interpret a notice "GPL" without versioning information the
current version of the license, even if a older version of the license
text is around.

> Nothing against you personally, I'm sure you only mean well for the
> Debian community *and* the OSM community by including our software in
> Debian.

And I think it would be nice, to have josm directly in debian.

Cheers,
Rapha