[josm-dev] i18n -- why not Locales & Bundles?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Aug 5 15:39:22 BST 2008

Hi,

I don't know why we're using what we're using; maybe a design decision
by Imi. Anyway whatever reasons were valid then must not necessarily be
valid now.

> My primary reason for asking is that I can't get JOSM to build under
> NetBeans -- the latest version of the xnap-commons library lacks the
> translation functions used.

I believe Petr Nejedly has successfully run JOSM with NetBeans.

> I'm willing to start hacking at the code to eliminate this dependency,
> but I want to check it won't be wasted effort first...

I'm not into i18n that much but if the change you are proposing would
mean that every single class that contains a "tr(...)" or "marktr(...)"
will have to be changed, then I'd like to have a code example beforehand
which also explains how language plugins will work under the new scheme,
and how the work of translators will change.

We have a working system which programmers, translators and users have
grown used to. Replacing that with something else will almost certainly
mean inconvenience for them; so that "something else" must bring solid
benefits to be worth it.

Bye
Frederik