[josm-dev] BEst Practices

Leonardo RamosHernandez ramosl8029 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 21:39:23 BST 2008

I am subscribed to the digest.  So I do not follow everything you guys write.

I do have an opinion about best practices and Java-ism.

The best practices and patterns ease the learning curve for new
comers.  These have real costs benefits in industry where
programmers are paid by the hour and contracts initiate and terminated
time and time again.  Nevertheless,  rewriting the
architecture of an existing application to conform to patterns and
frameworks can be a dawnting task.

The beauty about open source is that anyone can fork out an existing
project.  So, I suggest to whoever is complaining about the
current state of JOSM to fork out and start implementing and
architectural redesign. I'm sure lots of people here would be willing
to answer whatever questions are raised on the current code.

Then after a substancial project is underway, the community can choose
which fork to support.  I think this is called market economics.

By the way, The mappers vs coders argument is a very good one.

people who is not trained on java-ism will find them quite confusing.

Peace,

Leonardo