[josm-dev] Bug 595 - Virtual nodes - Comments requested

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Mon Aug 18 14:33:23 BST 2008

Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl> writes:

> Press 'A' or 'N' or select the 'Draw Nodes' tool. Press and hold
> SHIFT and click a few nodes. These nodes are drawn without a segment.
> So far so good. Now release SHIFT and move the mouse. You will see a
> segment that starts from the last node you entered.
> That is my gripe with the SHIFT-CLICK option. It works until you release
> SHIFT, which makes it broken.
> The same happens when you don't add single nodes on the map but when
> you click on a segment so JOSM adds them to the segment. The last node
> always results in a segment being created.

Yes, this is exactly how it works.  And IMHO this is how it is
advertised.

Just Click and a segment to the last node is inserted and Shift-Click
for no segment.  Shift only modifies the Click when it is pressed, it
doesn't make the inserted node any different.  So, if you release
Shift JOSM will draw a segment to the last node.  To me this is the
expected behavior.  It would be confusing if Shift had an effect after
I release it.

The general rule is: If you don't want a segment to be created to the
node you are about to insert/select hold Shift while you click.

Matthias