[josm-dev] Bug 595 - Virtual nodes - Comments requested

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Mon Aug 18 18:58:46 BST 2008

Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl> writes:

> Matthias Julius wrote:
>> Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl> writes:
>>
>>> You have just redefined the meaning of "shift-click".
>>> No key or mouse combination with a special key I know of changes when you
>>> release either key. JOSM is the first application I encounter that does so.
>>> Simple example: use shift and left mousebutton to select multiple icons on your
>>> desktop (I guess X or Gnome works the same as Windows). The selection does not
>>> magically change when I release the shift.
>>> To me your explanation sounds more like "it's a feature, not a bug".
>>
>> - Click on an icon - it gets selected (standard behavior)
>> - Shift-Click on another icon - it gets added to the selection
>>   (modified behavior)
>> - release Shift and click on a third icon - the other icons get
>>   deselected and the third one gets selected (standard behavior)
>>
>> How is that different to:
>>
>> - Click somewhere - a new node is created and connected to the last
>>   node (standard behavior)
>
> Or, if not node was selected, a node with a segment is created

No, there is no segment created.  There is only a line shown from the
node to the mouse pointer to indicate that a segment would be created
if you place/select another node.  If you hold down Shift that line
goes away to indicate that no segment would be created.

>> - Shift-Click somewhere else - a new node is created and _not_
>>   connected to the last node (modified behavior)
>
> There is the catch. Shift-Click and a node without a segment is created. Release
> the shift and the segment is created. The only way to create a node without a
> segment is to created two nodes. Then the first is created without a segment,
> but as soon as you release the shift, a segment is added to the last nod you
> created. Try it out and you'll see!

The way to create a node without a segment is to either make sure
nothing is selected when you enter the "Add" mode and click somewhere
or to Shift-Click somewhere.  When you swith back to "Select" mode all
you have created is the new node.

>> - Click on a third spot - a new node is created and connected to the
>>   last node (standard behavior)
>>
>> JOSM won't create a segment to connect a just created node when you
>> release Shift after you created that node.
>
> Yes it will! I am not going to use capitals here, but please, please, please,
> try it out for yourself! JOSM will create a segment connecting to the node you
> just created when you release shift.

I have done it many times.  The only thing JOSM does when you release
Shift is to show you a line from the last node to the mouse pointer.
But this is not a segment.  It will only become one when you click
somewhere without pressing Shift.  When you switch modes it will go
away.

Matthias