[josm-dev] Paste onto mouse pointer position

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Aug 19 10:04:44 BST 2008

On 19/08/2008 09:54, Petr Dlouhý wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:45:34 +0200, David Earl
> <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19/08/2008 09:18, Petr Dlouhý wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>  I made improvement to paste (and by consequence also to duplicate)
>>> function in JOSM. Now, it is pasting the object on the position of mouse
>>> cursor instead of placing it into middle of screen. I was wery tiring
>>> for
>>> me, when I was maping big garden colony (huge amount of same houses) to
>>> drag every house from middle of the screen to the right place. With the
>>> patch is the work much faster.
>>> I didn't code much in java, so I don't know if I couldn't get the mouse
>>> position easier, so if somebode could take a look, I would be glad.
>>> I am not sure, how to post my patch into the JOSM, so I am sending it
>>> here.
>> I think you forgot the attachment!
>
> No, I didn't, but maybe it didn't go through the mailing list. I uploaded
> it to server, you can download it from
> <http://stary.czp.cuni.cz/petr/josm.patch>.
>
>> What does it do if you use PASTE on the menu or the PASTE button (where
>> the mouse is on the menu or button)?
>>
>> is it now a two stage thing - paste, click - or does it use wherever the
>> cursor happens to be on the screen?
>
> Second. It pastes it on the position, where the pointer is.

And if you use a menu or button?

>> Is there an option to choose the behaviour you prefer?
>
> In fact, I couldn't imagine somebody, who would like to paste the object
> into the middle of the screen, and then drag it to the right position, if
> he could place it to right position directly. But I can make it like an
> option, if somebody wants to.

You may be right. The reason I thought centre might be preferable
sometimes is that the position is predictable so you know where to look.
It may be I am worrying unnecessarily - I'll try it first.

(I write as the person who first implemented Copy, Paste, Duplicate and
Paste Tags).

David