[josm-dev] JOSM and stable version

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Tue Aug 19 21:08:11 BST 2008

Hello,

the trouble with the new virtual nodes option shows that the situation
in the last months with a relatively stable JOSM-latest version resulted
in users expecting josm-latest to be an always stable software. This is
impossible, so a solution was necessary.

As nobody of us really wants to manage a josm-stable version I changed the
josm wiki main page a bit to get a compromise.

Now there are two links:
Download the "latest more or less stable JOSM" version
Download the "latest JOSM" version

The first one is a hand edited link pointing to one of the older
snapshots. This link should be changed from time to time (e.g. weekly) in
case newer versions are stable as well. When new features are introduced,
the time until a new version is more or less stable will be somewhat
higher. Currently it is 802, i.e. before virtual stuff was introduced.

BTW: Could the code quality discussions please be finished?
It is of no use. Why does josm attract so many people who know better than
anybody else what is the correct way? No other project I was involved in
results in so many mails telling me: "What you did is wrong, the correct
ways is ...". Sometimes I think I'm the only one on this world, who
understood that there is NO CORRECT WAY.