[josm-dev] Patch for "Align nodes straight and parallel" action

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sun Aug 31 16:20:45 BST 2008

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, A Morris wrote:

> if you want to make, for example, 4 ways straight and parallel using
> this action, you would simply shift-click 4 times, then press equals.
>
> If there was a method that made ways parallel (but did not
> automatically straighten them), then you would need click then L 4
> times, then shift-click 4 times, then equals.
>
> The code for "make ways parallel but preserve curves" is going to be
> significantly more complicated, so I thought I would do them
> separately.

You're right, that the action probably needs more clicks. but making ways
straight and aligned is not such an often done task, so for me the
negative fact to have more different tools counts more :-)

I will happily integrate a patch which makes two ways parallel without
needing special way design. This is also a long-standing feature request.
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/67

You can also make a request:

What do you want to do?
"straigthen ways", "relative to first", "relative to mean"

or something like that.