[josm-dev] Audio mapping Plugin

Ted Mielczarek ted at mielczarek.org
Thu Feb 14 13:06:27 GMT 2008

On Sat, Feb 2, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Gervase Markham <gerv at gerv.net> wrote:
> Brian Schimmel wrote:
>  > I'm writing a plugin for JOSM to enable more efficient audio mapping.
>
>  Fantastic :-)
>

>  > The user may use any audio recording device he likes. Depending on his
>  > situation he may do one large recording for his mapping tour (as I do,
>  > up to three hours in one file) or record some small snippets when he
>  > needs to.
>
>  It would be great if the plugin let you press or hold down a button in
>  JOSM to record a snippet through a mic attached to the computer. If I
>  were doing this, my view would be: why have a separate recording device
>  when my computer I'm mapping with (using e.g. Surveyor) has all the
>  hardware necessary?

I wrote a JOSM plugin to do this some time ago.  I'm not sure if it
still works given recent changes in JOSM, but I used it to map my town
and it was quite handy:
http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/osm/

Requires LiveGPS to work.  It added a new layer, and when you pressed
and held a key (hardcoded to the space bar, I believe), it would
record from the microphone to a wav file.  It would then add an audio
marker to the layer that you could click to play back your wav file.
You could also save the layer to GPX.

-Ted