[josm-dev] [OSM-talk] implementation of relations in josm

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 3 10:55:57 GMT 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:
>Sent: 03 January 2008 8:29 AM
>To: Jo
>Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org; josm-dev at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [josm-dev] [OSM-talk] implementation of relations in josm
>
>Hi,
>
>> Also the other problem with
>> splitting and merging of roads needs attention. Rather urgently I would
>> say.
>
>I agree. It is however again one of the problems where different
>relations will need different actions - when a way in a route relation
>is split, both new ways need to be members, but when a way in a turn
>restriction relation is split, only the one at the junction should be
>a member.
>
>Somehow I always thought that we should have a rather complex
>"presets" style configuration file for JOSM that tells it what to do
>with various kinds of relations but maybe a simple hack would be
>better than nothing for now; in the case of splitting ways perhaps
>just always ask the user what he wants.

That would be a great starting point. Users then get a better feel for how
relations work and provide feedback on how they would prefer the tools to
work. I don't think catering for beginners is necessary since JOSM is more
inclined to a power user or those who have got properly into editing and
thus have some general experience. Adding relation type data is probably not
high on the wish list of the first time user.

Cheers

Andy