[josm-dev] Surveyor and LiveGPS - feedback

Gervase Markham gerv at gerv.net
Thu Jan 17 13:18:06 GMT 2008

Christof Dallermassl wrote:
> When I started with the plugin I thought that adding osm nodes directly
> is the best. Later I switched to adding waypoints for most of the types
> and to convert them to osm nodes later. The different keys just set a
> predefined value and give the user the possibility to add a comment (so
> I do not always have to retype "church", etc.).

This is true, although I find it is rare that I don't need to add
additional information. E.g. for a church, I normally want to add the
name (e.g. "Morland Church").

> The surveyor frame can be configured by an xml file (set in properties),
> so you can add/remove/change all buttons and the actions (add waypoint,
> add node, etc.). Just extract the surveyor.xml file from the jar file
> and put in your josm directory (and set the preferences to this file).

Indeed; I have my own surveyor.xml. But, in hindsight, it's not
particularly well suited to the surveying I was doing! I think I'll
write another one and see if that is better.

Gerv