[josm-dev] Surveyor and LiveGPS - feedback

Christof Dallermassl cdaller.hw at gmx.at
Thu Jan 17 08:40:23 GMT 2008

Hi!

> Also, with regard to the Surveyor plugin - in the end, it seemed far
> easier just to make annotations, without the different possible types
> and "node presets". So I basically covered my map with annotations like
> "Stop sign - church", "Stop sign - dual carriageway begins here" and so
> on. :-) The ability to annotate the track is invaluable. The ability to
> annotate it in structured ways seems, to me, to be superfluous.

When I started with the plugin I thought that adding osm nodes directly
is the best. Later I switched to adding waypoints for most of the types
and to convert them to osm nodes later. The different keys just set a
predefined value and give the user the possibility to add a comment (so
I do not always have to retype "church", etc.).

The surveyor frame can be configured by an xml file (set in properties),
so you can add/remove/change all buttons and the actions (add waypoint,
add node, etc.). Just extract the surveyor.xml file from the jar file
and put in your josm directory (and set the preferences to this file).

I did some mapping with surveyor myself and was quite happy with the
presets (I added what I needed, so they were created), but everyone maps
in a different way and maps different things. So I think it would be
great if you could modify the surveyor.xml file to your needs and add it
to the wiki page, so others can decide which system to use. If yours are
better than mine, we'll replace the default xml file.

If you have other ideas, I'am happy to discuss them and if my time
allows it I will implement them as well (or you do :-)!

Christof

Christof Dallermassl
cdaller dot hw at gmx dot at