[josm-dev] [OSM-talk] Coastline checker / fixer

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Sat Mar 29 17:40:19 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 17:31 +0000, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> I vaguely remember months ago when the coastline checker at
> http://tile.openstreetmap.nl/coastlines.html was quite new, someone
> suggested they thought it was mature enough to be used to auto-fix ways
> that need reversing, and others suggested that it wouldn't be a good
> idea to do that.
>
> I'm wondering if it could add a FIXME=coastline_direction_checker_error
> or similar tag to ways that it thinks are the wrong way around so that
> it is easy to find them using JOSM's search function. Currently, I have
> to keep switching applications between JOSM and Firefox to try to work
> out which small island is the one that is backwards.

I've modified the JOSM validator plugin (and JOSM itself) to do much
improved coastline checking.  I generally find a bad place on the
coastline checker slippy map, then pull it up in JOSM.  It can fix about
95% of the errors all by itself, including those small islands.  Just
run the validator and look for "Clockwise Water".  My new checks are a
ton better than what was there before.  It sucked. :)

You can download a custom JOSM and validator .jar here:

	http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~daveh/josm/

I'm also keeping my personal JOSM patch set much better split out than I
did before, so I'm very willing to post it any time if people are
interested in integrating some of what I have done.

If you decide to run it and have any troubles, please report them back
to me.  I'll fix them as fast as I can!

-- Dave