[josm-dev] JOSM Translations

Marcin Floryan mfloryan at mm.waw.pl
Thu Oct 30 12:07:47 GMT 2008

Lars Kruse wrote:

>> A significant benefit of launchpad based translation is that many
>> other opensource applications are translated there, giving translators
>> a wide range of suggestions about how to translate strings.
>> Applications benefit a lot from consistent translations.
>
> if this is important for the josm translators, then I could create a
> terminology database extracted from the po files of relevant projects.
> See http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/terminology_matching

I think the problem with this approach would be that launchpad already
references all projects that are translated there - both current and
future - it would seem an overhead to extract it manually. Just think of
what kind of size we would be talking here...

>> Downside of launchpad based translation is the need for an account in
>> launchpad, no automated SVN integration and forced BSD license [1] on
>> translated strings (lowest common denominator of varoius licenses).
>> I'd say these are minor inconveniences, but i might be wrong.
>
> I guess, it just depends on the one, who would be willing to maintain the
> translation entered via the web interface.
> For launchpad this would involve regular manual synchronization - maybe once a
> week.

Perhaps launchpad would be willing to extend their functionality and
allow for some kind of automation - just a thought but perhaps worth
suggesting.

> There seem to be three options from my point of view:

> A) would someone volunteer to maintain the launchpad translations?

Since I have already messed up with the translations in the first place
I think I can spare some time and look after this aspect. Obviously the
key to success then would be to make sure that everyone uses launchpad
and only launchpad. Fortunately it provides for both - translations
on-line and working with .po files (which many translators prefer). Also
it keeps track of who changed what.

> B) Should we just try to see, if the submissions via the automated process of
>    pootle suit the quality standards of the current translators?

I think my problem with this approach is the inability to work with .po
files directly. Way too often I work on translations when I am on the
train or the like and have no Internet access.

> C) We just keep the current state of translations being submitted via svn.

Perhaps this is the least favourable but will always exist as a 'fallback'

Kind regards,
Marcin Floryan