[josm-dev] Various problems with josm

Rainer Rothkegel rainer.rothkegel at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 5 21:09:43 BST 2008

Hi,

Today, I ran into a couple of problems with josm when trying to fix tram
tracks in Munich. I was using the latest tested version of josm (898).
Please let me know if I am just missing something.

(Problem 1 )
Tram lines (railway=tram) are almost invisible: They appear as
dark-grey, dashed lines on the standard black background.

(Problem 2)
I tried to change the colour in the preferences, but none of the
variables I changed had any effect. I tried mappaint.rail,
mappaint.otherrail, and mappaint.railover from the advanced preferences.

(Problem 3)
Interestingly, tram lines don't even change colour when selected. Only
the arrow-heads become highlighted.

(Problem 4)
For some parts of the tram route, I was unable to select either the tram
way or the street on which the tram way was located. From josm, there
was no indication, that there was a tram way on top of a street, other
than the drawing style of the way, which looked like a mixture of a
street and a tram way. I think this happens, when two ways are
constructed from the same nodes (or one is a subset of the other), like
in this example:

 <way id='25976292' timestamp='2008-08-04T18:28:43+01:00'
user='user_4133' visible='true'>
    <nd ref='1954859' />
    <nd ref='1954861' />
    <nd ref='1954862' />
    <nd ref='19224215' />
    <nd ref='201741324' />
    <nd ref='201741326' />
    <nd ref='18292348' />
    <tag k='created_by' v='Potlatch 0.6a' />
    <tag k='railway' v='tram' />
    <tag k='name' v='15, 25, 19' />
  </way>

  <way id='3819306' timestamp='2006-10-23T20:20:14+01:00'
user='dankarran' visible='true'>
    <nd ref='1954859' />
    <nd ref='1954861' />
    <nd ref='1954862' />
    <nd ref='19224215' />
    <tag k='created_by' v='JOSM' />
    <tag k='highway' v='residential' />
    <tag k='name' v='Schloßstraße' />
    <tag k='oneway' v='true' />
  </way>

In this example, the street is built from a subset of the nodes of the
tram way. Try to select the street in josm.

(Problem 5)
When trying to find the example above in the osm xml file, I looked for
a method to identify the way xml element from the way selected in josm.
Unfortunately, I could not see the id of the way in josm. Only the name
was displayed, which is not unique.

Sorry, if I missed anything obvious.

- Rainer