[josm-dev] Various problems with josm

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Fri Sep 5 21:37:19 BST 2008

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Rainer Rothkegel wrote:

[... lots of tram realted stuff snipped]

That's all one problem. The tram-style is overlayed with the tram-overlay
style and thus makes it nearly invisible. I will fix this soon by removing
overlays for identical base types.

> (Problem 3)
> Interestingly, tram lines don't even change colour when selected. Only
> the arrow-heads become highlighted.

They change, but the overlay is to powerful, so you don't see it :-)

> (Problem 4)
> For some parts of the tram route, I was unable to select either the tram
> way or the street on which the tram way was located. From josm, there
> was no indication, that there was a tram way on top of a street, other
> than the drawing style of the way, which looked like a mixture of a
> street and a tram way. I think this happens, when two ways are
> constructed from the same nodes (or one is a subset of the other), like
> in this example:

Probably you misinterpretet something here. If you see the tram, then the
tram is displayed on top (which is BTW unpredictable).

If you click, you always select the way on top, in this case the tram,
Where you did not really see, that it was selected. To select the other
way you need to use middle mouse-button + CTRL trick or use other means of
way selection (e.g. drawing selection rectangle) and selection dialog to
choose right element.

> (Problem 5)
> When trying to find the example above in the osm xml file, I looked for
> a method to identify the way xml element from the way selected in josm.
> Unfortunately, I could not see the id of the way in josm. Only the name
> was displayed, which is not unique.

Middle click shows you ID.