[josm-dev] Automatic tiles downloading in WMSPlugin

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Fri Sep 12 11:48:35 BST 2008

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Dirk Stöcker wrote:

> I got this fixed with a workaround. I use following download script:
> ---
> #! /bin/bash
>
> gnome-web-photo --mode=photo --format=ppm "$1" /dev/stdout |pnmcrop -white
> |pnmtopng
> ---
>
> Now the other problem. I always get lowest resolution pictures. The plugin
> tells me to download at zoom 0. How can this be fixed?

Ok. Found that out now also. It depends on the very first downloaded tile.

Some improvements for this:
a) Please detected The Yahoo-error images automatically.
That can be done by a histogram: More than 50% (70%?) of the picture have
color "204,204,204". Switch to higher download mode for the corresponding
tile (or the whole system) then.
b) Allow a way to redownload the tiles with another zoom level.

Best would be, if Low and High quality tiles can be mixed. Lower quality
tiles are displayed in background and higher accuracy tiles in front.

This would allow to start with deep zoom and see helpful data in the areas
were this is not available nevertheless.