[josm-dev] Commit message not empty

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 22:31:27 BST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Ulf Lamping
<ulf.lamping at googlemail.com> wrote:
> But, what puzzles me most (if I understand it correct) is that only JOSM
> has this policy. If it's such a vital interest to the probject, why
> doesn't the API forces the comments? It's really strange if you add
> something in Potlatch you *can* add a comment (but it doesn't even seem
> to be obvious that you can do it), while JOSM forces you to add one.

As the person who wrote that bit of code, it happened in the API 0.6
discussion weekend a long while ago and was essentially added while we
were speccing the API and no-one had any problem with the commit
message bit. That's not to say it's wrong, but it's more just that
JOSM supported API 0.6 very early on and got the code to match the
spec exactly (if JOSM didn't follow the spec it could hardly be
expected anyone else would)...

Have a nice day,