[josm-dev] Commit message not empty

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 22 23:06:53 BST 2009

Martijn van Oosterhout schrieb:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Ulf Lamping
> <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> But, what puzzles me most (if I understand it correct) is that only JOSM
>> has this policy. If it's such a vital interest to the probject, why
>> doesn't the API forces the comments? It's really strange if you add
>> something in Potlatch you *can* add a comment (but it doesn't even seem
>> to be obvious that you can do it), while JOSM forces you to add one.
>
> As the person who wrote that bit of code, it happened in the API 0.6
> discussion weekend a long while ago and was essentially added while we
> were speccing the API and no-one had any problem with the commit
> message bit.

Well, that none of the developers complained doesn't mean that users
won't do - and from personal experience I know that developers are not
always right ;-)

> That's not to say it's wrong, but it's more just that
> JOSM supported API 0.6 very early on and got the code to match the
> spec exactly (if JOSM didn't follow the spec it could hardly be
> expected anyone else would)...

To be honest I'm not asking if it's in the spec (I don't think changing
this part in the next days wouldn't be a big problem anyway). I ask if
it's really a good or a bad move to have it that way.

Regards, ULFL

P.S: If the comment is mandatory in the spec and Potlatch doesn't follow
the spec, are there any plans to ban potlatch? SCNR! ;-)