[josm-dev] JOSM-NG and eclipse rcp

Petr Nejedlý petr at nejedli.cz
Fri Apr 24 20:27:58 BST 2009

Frederik Fischer napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> i wonder if anyone considered (and evaluated) the usage of the eclipse
> rcp framework for a josm-ng implementation. If yes, do you see any
> problems with using the eclipse rcp?

Well, I (naturally) considered putting josm-ng on top of NetBeans RCP,
but decided to postpone
the marriage to the time when it would make enough sense (use enough of
the RCP to offset
the size of the framework).

> Recently i spent some days to build a simple josm-ng protoype [1][2]
> using the eclipse rcp framework. In my opinion it would be an suitable
> option for a powerfull josm implementation. At least the framework would
> provide a lot of basic but mature functionality (gui concepts,
> extensibility, preferences, ...) so we could put more and better focus
> on actual osm related features instead of building our own stuff from
> scratch.
> The only(?) real (but major) drawback is the need of different builds
> for different platforms. (as this mostly affects only static parts like
With NetBeans RCP you don't need to care about platforms, all will be
covered by a single build.
Now while I am certainly biased on the non-technical side ("wrote"
NetBeans, know NetBeans,
use NetBeans), it still makes sense on the technical side - several
design decisions in josm-ng
were influenced by the way NB does given things, so it would fit nicely
in the framework.
Specifically undo system, extension lookup, and action registration
would integrate quite well
with NetBeans RCP, maybe more, but I haven't had time to work on -ng for
quite a long time
(due to family).
So here comes the disclaimer: I haven't touched -ng for about a year.
Somebody else did, but
very minimally. The project is mostly hibernated for now.
I still actively use it as a library when I need to do some
transformations on country-sized OSM
exports though.

--
Petr "Nenik" Nejedly,  NOT speaking for Sun this time.