[josm-dev] JOSM && Changesets?

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Dec 29 22:13:45 GMT 2009

andrzej zaborowski writes:

 > 2009/12/29 Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com>:
 > > Is JOSM's Changeset support not quite right?
 > >
 > > I'm thinking that the way it should work instead is NOT close
 > > Changesets ever.  Instead, it should keep (all) the changeset(s) open,
 > > and if you make another edit which is within the bounding box of an
 > > open changeset, it should default to adding it to that changeset.
 >
 > My opinion is probably skewed by using source code repositories but
 > imho changes should not be grouped by bboxes, instead they should be
 > grouped logically under the changeset whose comment best fits the type
 > of change out of those you have open.  Grouping by location carries
 > very little information, is an easy task that could be done
 > automatically and is only slightly better than having no changesets at
 > all.

Rule #1 of HCI: have sensible defaults.  If you were just editing
somewhere, and noticed something you missed, and go back and fix it,
it should be in the same changeset, no?  So, the default should be
"don't close changesets" and "upload using a recent changeset that
covers the same area".  Defaults, not fixed policy.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog