[josm-dev] .jar file size is too big

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Fri Jul 17 09:50:58 BST 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Frederik Ramm wrote:

>> Only 24% of JOSM users use english
>> software version - The majority uses localized JOSM (50% use german).
>
> Everybody loses if languages are packaged with the bundle - the German
> user downloads about 3 MB of compressed translation classes when only
> 250 KB are relevant to him. Same for the English, Danish, Japanese,
> Spanish, Czech, French, and all the others.
>
> I'm not saying don't translate. I just say don't force *every* JOSM user
> to download *every* language which is what we currently do.

Well, until someone presents an overly clever system to handle the
language issue this is a yes/no question. Sorry. And I don't know other
software where this is solved better.

Making the josm-server more complex to build up an automatic "send me
translation data for my josm" is also not good. I already moved too much
logic into the server which will bring trouble when someone else will take
over maintainership in future and has to care for that stuff.