[josm-dev] .jar file size is too big

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 17 10:43:00 BST 2009

Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Frederik Ramm wrote:

>> Can we perhaps think of a way to dynamically load the language support
>> instead of burdening *every* downloader with megabytes of translations
>> in languages he will never select? This is very unlikely to scale well.
>
> Well, as said the advantage of having localized JOSM and the disadvantage
> of larger file size goes hand-in-hand. Only 24% of JOSM users use english
> software version - The majority uses localized JOSM (50% use german).

Is that 50% of the non-english users or 50% of the total?
That would mean that with just three versions, you would cater for either 62
or 74% of all users.
I would think that's enough to make the effort. Maybe not make a localized
version of every josm-latest, but at least for official ones.

Generally, I'm also in favour of moving things out of the main .jar file if
that's possible. I hate bloatware.

Regards,
Maarten