[josm-dev] .jar file size is too big

Petr Nejedlý petr at nejedli.cz
Fri Jul 17 11:07:21 BST 2009

Dirk Stöcker napsal(a):
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
>>> Only 24% of JOSM users use english
>>> software version - The majority uses localized JOSM (50% use german).
>> Everybody loses if languages are packaged with the bundle - the German
>> user downloads about 3 MB of compressed translation classes when only
>> 250 KB are relevant to him. Same for the English, Danish, Japanese,
>> Spanish, Czech, French, and all the others.
>>
>> I'm not saying don't translate. I just say don't force *every* JOSM user
>> to download *every* language which is what we currently do.
>
> Well, until someone presents an overly clever system to handle the
> language issue this is a yes/no question. Sorry. And I don't know other
> software where this is solved better.

Webstart with jarindex and jars split per language?

> Making the josm-server more complex to build up an automatic "send me
> translation data for my josm" is also not good. I already moved too much
> logic into the server which will bring trouble when someone else will take
> over maintainership in future and has to care for that stuff.

No server side logic necessary. Only build-time to split the jar
according to locales and generate the right JNLP descriptor.
The syntax is like:
     <resources locale="xx_XX">
         <jar href="josm-lang-xx_XX.jar" download="lazy"/>
     </resources>
     <resources locale="yy">
         <jar href="josm-lang-yy.jar" download="lazy"/>
     </resources>

Nenik