[josm-dev] .jar file size is too big

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Fri Jul 17 11:27:34 BST 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Petr Nejedlý wrote:

>> Well, until someone presents an overly clever system to handle the
>> language issue this is a yes/no question. Sorry. And I don't know other
>> software where this is solved better.
>
> Webstart with jarindex and jars split per language?

Sounds good. When I understand this correctly we could have a plain josm
and additional files for each language and we would not loose the
possibility to change language inside the software because the jarindex
is a way to tell the software which files contains which class and

Someone willing to make a working prototype?

I wont do it, as I don't see a real sense ATM, but when done the server
side support would be easy.

This very likely also would need to fix the plugin-loading issue with
webstart, because currently josm is not allowed to load the jar-files in
Webstart mode.

At the weekend I will do the rework of language stuff to reduce english
string requirements and I will rearange stuff in a way, so that the number
of included languages can still be dynamic.