[josm-dev] Editing of single nodes

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Tue Nov 17 10:49:17 GMT 2009

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Andre Hinrichs wrote:

>> I had a short look on that list and it seems JOSM is covered there
>> reasonably (as well as on the main talk lists). So why change a working
>> situation? Increasing the number of available lists does not necessarily
>> increase the quality.
>
> You are right from the developers point of view. But if there is a user
> who is just having some questions then he might hasitate of signing up
> to a developers list.
>
> At a user list advanced users who are no JOSM developers (like me) can
> help without disturbing the developers. The developers do not even have
> to sign up to the users list because the advanced users can surely
> forward serious issues to the developers list or help other users filing
> a bug at trac.
>
> I think that especially with an increasing number of users this might be
> a good thing for both the developers and the users.

Well, to make a bit more clear what I wrote above. I think the newbies
list and the language specific talk lists already cover that. Ævar
Arnfjörð Bjarmason seems to be active answering seldom JOSM questions in
newbies list. In talk-de lots of people answer. Most of the newbies
questions aren't software-specific, but most often they are OSM specific.
When we divide that we get "OSM specific with josm point of view" and
"general osm specific" which is not really helpful.

Probably a "newbies-de" is more needed than a "josm-newbies".