[josm-dev] Joining the map plugins

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Wed Nov 25 17:22:25 GMT 2009

Hello,

currently we have at least 4 different map plugins:
- WMS
- Slippymap
- cadastre-fr
- walking papers

I believe, that at least WMS and slippymap and probably parts of walking
papers and cadastre-fr could be joined into one plugin providing the users
a more unified user interface.

NOTE: I do not vote to unify the way the plugins fetch, handle and display
data, but only the way the are installed, configured and visible to the
user.

Each of these plugins has features, which also would be useful to others,
so joining them probably reduces duplicate code and allows to have the
features available for more than one type of map data (even when in first
step the code join probably would be mainly a "throw all into one
plugin" only).

Bug http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/3982 has the same topic.