[josm-dev] WMS requiring an EULA acceptance

Bodo Meissner bodo at bodo-m.de
Thu Aug 12 16:56:48 BST 2010

Pieren wrote:

> It could be a WMS customization (blocking the
> images delivery if the user-agent is not in the white list), I don't know
> this part well enough to answer.

Matthias is right. You cannot rely on the client program. It is easy to
change the user agent. see
http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

Pieren wrote:

> The things you suggest have been
> studied in details with their lawyers and they found this solution as a
> compromise (no user accounts to manage, simplicity, etc). Just click 'OK'
> on
> the text asking you to use the imagery for OSM only. Sounds reasonable.

With this simplicity they won't get any security.
As I already said you cannot rely on the client program.

I saw in the WMS plugin that you can specify cookies. (I don't know if it
works correct.)
Maybe the user can go to their website to accept the license. The user will
get a string that he has to copy and paste to his WMS configuration as a
cookie specification. The WMS server can reject requests without a known
cookie.
(But without other checks some cookies will sooner or later be known to
everyone.)

Or the website can create an individual URL after accepting the license. The
user can select the "WMS - rectified image" option and paste the URL.
(similar security problems here, maybe the URL can be restricted to a
specific IP address and could expire when unused for some time...)

Bodo