[josm-dev] WMS requiring an EULA acceptance

MP singularita at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 22:52:14 BST 2010

> Again, the idea is not to build up a fortress. It is well known that if
>  someone really want to catch the images, he will be able to do so anyway.
>  The request to show and accept the uela is coming from the jurists, I cannot
>  change that. What I would like to know is if it is possible and how I could
>  do it in JOSM/WMS plugin without disturbing the main stream.

Solution requiring no modification of JOSM or WMS plugin could be that
the URL will require some parameter, like
"http://wms-server?SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&eula_check=<something>&"

Value for that parameter will not be included in presets and for that
JOSM to work, user will have to browse to the site with EULA, agree to
the EULA and after that the site will tell him what to put in place of
the parameter, like "eula_check=p45gG0h5w"
(or perhaps it can tell him entire WMS URL, includnig the parameter)

Requests without correct value of eula_check parameter will be denied
on the WMS server side ans since the "only" way to get the parameter
will be by reading and accepting EULA - problem solved. Perhaps also
add clause to disallow telling value of the parameter to other people
if it is already not in the EULA. Then it should be completely "safe"
(from lawyers point of view)

Martin