[josm-dev] Introduce versioning scheme

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Tue Feb 9 10:29:27 GMT 2010

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:

> Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> writes:
>> Imi had started JOSM "versions" but they quickly became a farce;
>> everybody working with a "numbered version" (aka stable) was always told
>> to throw it away and use the latest nightly build at the first sign of
>> trouble, and every now and then he would increse the "version number"
>> and make a blog posting about all the "new" features since the last
>> version - features that everyone had, by that time, been using for months.
>
> How about at least making "josm-tested.jar" include the SVN revision
> number in its name? This would help a lot in bug reporting.

This is something I (as packager for openSUSE) do not like at all. When
the software has a version depending name, then packaging is a mess, as
you always need to rename files and lots of stuff in the package.

The software tells its version in start screen, in about dialog, at
commandline, in bug reports, ... That should be enough.

BTW: You can download the snapshot files which include version.