[josm-dev] New translations system

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 19:34:45 GMT 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 13:05, Dirk Stöcker <openstreetmap at dstoecker.de> wrote:
> I switched the translations from the gettext support to an own version
> using Java mechanisms. This now means adding new languages results in a
> small change in josm (adding the plural mode - one line). As a result the
> final josm jar is a bit smaller again (no longer multiple english strings).
>
> Please all of you test if josm is still working reliable in your native
> language!

It works fine for Icelandic, neat that we can continue translating
without JOSM blowing up.

Out of curiosity though since you were changing the internal storage
away from Gettext why did you go with something custom instead of
using Java ResourceBundles or whatever the system Java projects
usually use is?

I'm not familiar with Java i18n issues so it would be interesting to know.