[josm-dev] Localisation policy for quotes etc.

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Wed Jan 13 05:22:57 GMT 2010

Andre Hinrichs <andre.hinrichs at gmx.de> writes:

> Hi List!
>
> Since I currently check all translatable texts I found that sometimes
> quotes are single and sometimes double. E.g. "isn't" is sometimes simply
> "isn't" and sometimes "isn''t".
>
> Which is the correct way?

The correct way will be to escape single quotes with another one (''),
always.

In the near future all translations will be fed through
MessageFormat.format(), so they all get the same treatment.

Also, I want to change all those don'ts and won'ts to "proper" English.
This doesn't change the meaning of the string, so all the translations
(hopefully) just need to be unfuzzied.

There are a couple of other minor issues I came across that will get
fixed on the way.

For translators it is probably best to take a break (and go mapping or
so) and wait for things to calm down.  I guess Dirk should call a String
Freeze at some point.

Matthias