[josm-dev] experiment on mapping with GPS synchronized video

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Fri Jan 22 21:07:07 GMT 2010

Hi,

last year I put an aspire one laptop, an openmoko GPS and an external
GPS antenna to a car and wrote programs that let me record video with
accurate timestamps (the webcam of the laptop is not sending frames at
a constant rate so this was somewhat tricky).

Yesterday I finally managed to find the time to analyze the results. I
wrote a simple "video player" with python-gtk and modified the
remotecontrol plugin of JOSM so that the player can show a marker in
JOSM window. As I really have minimal time to work on this I did not
write any documentation but you you can watch

http://lindi.iki.fi/lindi/osm/video-recording/demo1.ogv

to get an idea of how I use it. Am I reinventing the wheel here, is
there already something similar for JOSM?

best regards,
Timo Lindfors