[josm-dev] Fwd: start of gwtosm the google webtoolkit port of josm

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Thu May 27 07:03:37 BST 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>>
>> Maybe. I'm not familiar with it. But it does seem to do a lot of
>> things right, and it's well maintained and complete. You could do a
>> lot worse than using its primatives and well tested upload/download
>> code for a new client.
>
> I am not convinced that any branch aimed at making JOSM more suitable for
> gwt will still be well maintained and complete ;-) or more precisely, I am
> pretty sure that it will not be possible to pull this off without drawbacks
> for the "real" JOSM.

It might be a waste of time, but I am learning about gwt and josm and
it is pretty much fun.

I don't see what drawbacks this might have,the only real major change
so far was removing generics from quadtree.

It is a separate branch, and until It is running nicely, and we have
documented the issues, I would not proposal any changes to jsom
directly, except one : we need test cases for the classes.

so lets talk about how to add in test cases to the real josm to test
the components.

Lets talk about moving the Navigatable component, and the projection
and properties and other needed things outside of the gui framework.
Lets talk about how to use less reflection and more virtual methods or
other type specific dispatching.

I think there is alot we can learn from trying to extract a core josm.

mike