[josm-dev] start of gwtosm the google webtoolkit port of josm

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Thu May 27 09:28:28 BST 2010

On Thu, 27 May 2010, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com wrote:

> It might be a waste of time, but I am learning about gwt and josm and
> it is pretty much fun.

Actually learning coding is never wasted time. Even (or especially)
aborted projects help to understand software and programmming better.

> It is a separate branch, and until It is running nicely, and we have
> documented the issues, I would not proposal any changes to jsom
> directly, except one : we need test cases for the classes.

We have test cases already. What we don't have is a test driven
development. That may be a drawback, but I hardly see this anywhere in
open source area, as it increases the initial knowledge level of wannabe
contributions and thus reduces the number of contributors.

> Lets talk about moving the Navigatable component, and the projection
> and properties and other needed things outside of the gui framework.
> Lets talk about how to use less reflection and more virtual methods or
> other type specific dispatching.

Separating that is a long term goal for josm as well. I e.g want to have
previews of map in editor dialogs (relations, turn restrictions, presets,
... whatever).

This requires an easy to use map (without user interaction) and custom
database as base for it --> the drawing core.

If your work can help with this, then I highly appreciate it, even if I
don't think your other approach will succeed. On the other hand I never
stop anyone from trying as it could be I'm wrong. If required server
support at josm.openstreetmap.de will be possible as well.

Inbetween maybe we should get the applet code to work reliable, so we can
offer it on the webpage. My task is to supply the server side of server
side includes, other developers should help fixing remaining bugs and
cleanups. I think 3-4 years of JOSM development have left some
incompatibilities in applet variant.