[josm-dev] start of gwtosm the google webtoolkit port of josm

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Thu May 27 10:25:34 BST 2010

On Thu, 27 May 2010, Frederik Ramm wrote:

>> I'm not so sure this is true anymore. JOSM's internal structure has been
>> reworked largely and it has a big advantage - it has been tested for a
>> long time and works reliable.
>
> Nothing against JOSM's internal structure but it seemed to me that Avar
> was looking for a rather general OSM library, whereas even today, and
> even if you look at the base layer of objects in JOSM, everything is
> geared towards being an editor - you'll find projected coordinates in
> the node objects, your primitives will have flags saying whether they
> are editable or not, and so on. All this is perfectly OK in the JOSM
> context but I wouldn't want that overhead for general OSM data processing.

I thought we talked about another editor here. An OSM data processing is
an entirely different field and more 99% of JOSM code have nothing to do
with that. Data processing for OSM data is so easy, I still doubt there is
a need for a generic OSM library. At least I make different application
centric code for everything I do.