[josm-dev] Process to commit a patch ?

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sat Nov 13 12:50:22 GMT 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010, Olivier Croquette wrote:

>> Olivier Croquette wrote:
>>> I would like to commit the patch below to increase the precision of the PicLayer rotation and scaling.
>>> Since i have a SVN account, I can technically just do it, but what's the process to do so ?
>>
>> Just do it. :)
>
> Looks quite different than the process by Axel :-)
> What I don't like in Axel's process is "note that it might take a while to get some feedback"...
>
> According to :
> http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide/SVN_Account
> it's not mandatory to use Trac or review the changes.
>
> I think I will create a ticket anyway, for the traceability, and gather
> feedback, but if it takes too long I will follow your advice. The
> changes are not very risky nor controversial anyway, and there is
> obviously no active development.

The "Use Trac" is mandatory for everyone without SVN. For everyone with
SVN a sensible use is required, which means bigger or controverse changes
should be announced here or given as Trac tickets.

For everything else we are much happier when you just do it instead of
bothering us with Trac tickets ;-)

SVN has the big advantage, that everything can be redonce. So when you
really do wrong, we can fix it. But usually we trust our authors and till
now this trust has never been wrong.

We would also feel happy when you would take care of the "PicLayer"
bugreports in trac and feel responsible for them or maybe accept status as
responsible author (currently piclayer is "team" which actually means
nobody is responsible). But I wont ask too much for the beginning.

JOSM core has a bit higher restrictions to get SVN account, but it is
nevertheless easy to get one when you are active contributor.