[josm-dev] Changed presets, "contact"

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Dec 17 20:30:23 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 12/17/2011 03:40 PM, Pieren wrote:
>> so by no means should we blindly take for gospel what the Wiki says.
>
> but the JOSM presets, yes...

There is a sad story behind this. From day one, presets were designed to
be distributed. It was never the plan to have one central set of presets
that the JOSM team would maintain and everyone would follow that. The
idea was that interested users could make their own presets, and share
them with others. "Look I've got this cool preset for waterway mapping,
just add URL X to your config and you can use that!"

That system was set up with the best intentions, and it continues to
function today - but nobody is actually interested in using it!
Everybody just wants the one, central, official group of presets and
that's it. We do have a handful of extra presets contributed by users
but even those are hardly ever used.

This is sad; it would be so much better if there was a culture in OSM
where people would mix and match, where they would say "I think Pieren
is a good guy, therefore I'll use his presets, plus the special set of
model airplane tagging presets from user HobbyFlyer3000".

But we can't do more than offer this - if people don't make use of it,
then what can we do?

Maybe we should have a remote control functionality that adds presets.
Then people could have cool web pages with an "add me to JOSM!" button
and if you click on that, the preset is loaded ;) but I think even that
is going to be little used.

Bye
Frederik