[josm-dev] License change plugin

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Thu Jul 7 21:54:13 BST 2011

Hello Dirk,

On 07.07.2011 14:49, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> That would be wrong. I'm not sure if he described it that way, but the
> condition must be:
> * no tags of previous editors are included in the current node (which is
> true for untagged nodes)
> and
> * the position of the node is different.
> I think Stephan assumed that the second condition is always true for
> untagged nodes, but your example shows that this must not be.
You're right. I had assumed that a new version of an untagged node must
be the result of a position change.
Am I right to assume that without inspecting the full history of a node
we can not know what caused the new version?

Still a difficult thing to decide for the plugin what data is considered
"safe".
Probably it should limit itself to the (probably) certain cases.
* All versions of an element are clean, so the whole element is
considered clean (green).
* All versions from declined users, element is red.

The remaining "mixed" cases could be colored in yellow to indicate that
there is still some discussion ongoing on how these will be treated.

What's left is the "consists of" relationship of elements. On legal-talk
one believed that inserting extra nodes in a way are a derivative work
based on the existing nodes. So in case the way is not clean these extra
nodes would be unclean as well.
While I personally believe this is not the case there is some doubt
regarding the legal (or moral) status of these extra nodes. To be
neutral the plugin would have to color these nodes in yellow then.

Stephan