[josm-dev] License change plugin

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jul 7 22:16:50 BST 2011

Hi,

Stephan Knauss wrote:
> Am I right to assume that without inspecting the full history of a node
> we can not know what caused the new version?

Yes. And looking and the full history is always an expensive operation,
hence the plugin relies on the wtfe.gryph.de service and that, in turn,
has only a minimal database that contains the id of the user creating an
object plus an unsorted list of user ids of the users who touched it
later on.

> * All versions of an element are clean, so the whole element is
> considered clean (green).

I think that "clean" elements should not be marked at all. Clean is the
default; no action is required on a clean element.

> * All versions from declined users, element is red.

Declined or undecided.

> The remaining "mixed" cases could be colored in yellow to indicate that
> there is still some discussion ongoing on how these will be treated.

Well: If v1 of an object is done by someone who has agreed to ODbL, then
it is absoultely sure that *something* of this object will remain. If v1
of an object is done by someone who has not agreed, then it is *not*
sure that something will remain. Don't you think that it makes sense to
distinguish these cases?

> What's left is the "consists of" relationship of elements. On legal-talk
> one believed that inserting extra nodes in a way are a derivative work
> based on the existing nodes. So in case the way is not clean these extra
> nodes would be unclean as well.

Yeah, and the pub inserted near an intersection is a dervied work of the
intersection... if we listen to that kind of argument we can just colour
everything orange and be done with it - no database required ;)

Bye
Frederik