[josm-dev] JOSM Applet

Sebastian Klein bastikln at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 3 12:52:33 GMT 2011

Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> If we can get it to work properly then I'm sure it can be hosted on
>> osm.org and be added to the "Edit" drop-down.
>
> Perfectly fine. But it must work on josm.openstreetmap.org,

 You mean josm.openstreetmap.de?

> as this is
> the place, where JOSM developers have influence. If the OSM-servers
> provide it as well we can help them, but development will be based on
> our sphere of influence.

What is the difference to PL2?
It is developed in openstreetmap.org svn repository and Tom Hughes updates the binary regularly for rails [1]. We should go all the way and even use the same authentication method. I don't know the details, but apparently an OAuth token is automatically issued for Potlatch 2 the first time it is used.

Getting rid of 2 layers of authentication and replacing it by default login on openstreetmap.org is a huge usability improvement and in my opinion worth the trouble and loss of control.

Sebastian

[1]  <http://git.openstreetmap.org/rails.git/history/e34ce3cb4cb6e3b6a44ccf5027784e6d4e49adb1:/public/potlatch2/potlatch2.swf>