[josm-dev] JOSM Applet

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Mar 3 13:50:35 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 03/03/2011 01:52 PM, Sebastian Klein wrote:
> What is the difference to PL2? It is developed in openstreetmap.org svn
> repository and Tom Hughes updates the binary regularly for rails [1]. We
> should go all the way and even use the same authentication method. I
> don't know the details, but apparently an OAuth token is automatically
> issued for Potlatch 2 the first time it is used.

I think it would be cool to have something similar for the JOSM applet,
but of course that would mean that whoever checks out the applet to
osm.org would have to take some responsibility for it not being a
security hole.

If the applet mode works well then I'm really looking forward to having
the applet directly on osm.org (and I believe the preferences stuff
should be easy to sort out). That might even convert some staunch
Potlatch users to see the light ;)

However we'll probably have to slim down JOSM a bit for that. I can't
imagine a 5 MB applet download working well. I think that's at least 5
times the size of the Potlatch SWF plus additional images etc.

Bye
Frederik