[josm-dev] JOSM Applet

"Dirk Stöcker" openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Thu Mar 3 15:04:19 GMT 2011

Hello,

>> What is the difference to PL2? It is developed in openstreetmap.org svn
>> repository and Tom Hughes updates the binary regularly for rails [1]. We
>> should go all the way and even use the same authentication method. I
>> don't know the details, but apparently an OAuth token is automatically
>> issued for Potlatch 2 the first time it is used.

Well, that does not solve the issue. When you use OAuth with JOSM applet
you also need no OSM-login, but you need to login at JOSM server. This is
the same for potlatch, where you need to login at Potlatch server.
Somewhen you need to login. The question is only whether you login at
josm.openstreetmap.de or www.openstreetmap.org. Not such a big difference
in my eyes.

> I think it would be cool to have something similar for the JOSM applet,
> but of course that would mean that whoever checks out the applet to
> osm.org would have to take some responsibility for it not being a
> security hole.

Somehow I believe again (this time both of you) don't know JOSM's
features. We already can do the server communication with additional
authentication. When running on the OSM server, OAuth-request could also
be handled automatically, as login is already done. But what we need in
any case is an initial login. There is no way around it.

> If the applet mode works well then I'm really looking forward to having
> the applet directly on osm.org (and I believe the preferences stuff
> should be easy to sort out). That might even convert some staunch
> Potlatch users to see the light ;)

Well. As already said we need a working version on JOSM servers. Here is
the only place we can have influence. Installing on OSM would be
additional benefit.

> However we'll probably have to slim down JOSM a bit for that. I can't
> imagine a 5 MB applet download working well. I think that's at least 5
> times the size of the Potlatch SWF plus additional images etc.

Applets can be splitt simply and have a on-demand data access. But as long
as the applet is not tested a lot better there is no need to optimize in
this area. And the initial mail was actually done to get exactly this
testing. Till now we had lots of discussion, but not a single result.

I myself don't use the applet and also will not do in future and without
bug reports I cannot improve it.